Monday, March 9, 2009

University Students Lay New Paths for NUH

We all arrived a little earlier than expected Saturday to take full advantage of the weather. We had kids from the University School of Nashville come out and give us a helping hand. They laid more cardboard on the rows for us to help suppress weeds and pulled the weeds up in the first beds before we applied mushroom compost from Nashville Nursery. We got 4 rows completed just in time for us to plant lettuce and cabbage. Most of the kids seemed to really enjoy themselves and some of them even promised to come back.

Tim and I planted onions on Tuesday of last week. We didn't check the bio dynamic calendar so we planted them on a day when the earth was exhaling. We will see how the onions produce so I will keep everyone posted on their growth. I'm definitely not up to date on my bio dynamics so if anyone has any tips let me know.

We also had three new volunteers come out. One of them raked up all the leaves herself and said that she was really wanting to partake in the bounty when it comes. Luckily, I dug up some carrots we forgot about from this past fall and was able to give her something right away. They were little fingerling carrots but we had enough to make a delicious salad.

A man from the neighborhood stopped by for the first time this summer. He asked us if we wanted to use his front loader, which is what we've been looking for for a long time. He's coming out today and I think we are going to take out the hideous compost bins that we tried but failed to establish. It would take this stuff 100 years to decompose. Thanks Norman!

Sorry I don't have any pictures up from this past week. My camera battery was dead. I'll be gone this next weekend because we are going to a mushroom cultivation course in Liberty SC. It is at Mushroom Mountain and it is going to be amazing. Thanks again for everyone's hard work. We are off to a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment